I’ve been very interested this week in buying “bank-account-friendly” drugstore brands of makeup instead of paying at least double for the same products elsewhere. I have been buying almost all my makeup at Sephora and some at the Body Shop in the past. However, my summer job is in a drugstore, so I’ve been looking at prices and the different makeup and makeup brands we sell. I thought this week I would share with you some of the research I’ve done on the matter. That way, you can start saving your money too! Enjoy and I’ll be back next week!
PS. Sorry this was late this week! I’ll try and stick to Sunday’s from now on :)
After doing my research I’ve read a lot of good things about Revlon ColorStay Foundations and Revlon PhotoReady Foundations. The ColorStay foundations are full coverage and the PhotoReady is more of a medium coverage. The packaging is really nice for drugstore brand I think! ColorStay is said to be better for oily skin where PhotoReady may be a tad too shimmery for already oily skin.
Another Foundation I’ve read good things about is CoverGirl Stay Fabulous. It blends well and has a full, long lasting coverage.
Maybelline’s Dream Matte Powder isn’t very pigmented so it’s perfect for setting liquid foundation. It is very matte, like the name says, and is good for covering up mid-day shine. The packaging is also very nice for a drugstore brand.
Maybelline’s Instant Age Rewind Protector Finishing Powder is also a good powder. It is very light weight on the skin and feels like you’re not even wearing makeup. It has been recommended many places online as a dupe for MAC’s Mineralized Skin Finish. Be warned though, it is a little shimmery so it may not be ideal for all day use for people with oily skin.
Lastly, L’Oréal True Match Super-Blendable Face Powder comes in a variety of shades which makes it easier to find your colour. It is long lasting and covers shine and pores flawlessly. The packaging on this one is also very nice!
I swear there are at least one hundred types of mascara! A few that have been recommended on online forums though are Maybelline The Colossal Volum’ Express Mascara, L’Oréal Telescopic Shocking Extensions Mascara, and L’Oreal Power Volume 24 Hour Mascara.
The Maybelline The Colossal Volum’ Express Mascara gives a lot of volume and has a great bristle mascara brush instead of a plastic one with spikes. It keeps your lashes clump free and stays on your lashes very well while you want it there, and when you want it off, it comes off like a charm!
L’Oréal Telescopic Shocking Extensions Mascara gives lashes a good amount of length and decent volume, making it a great double duty mascara. Also, it won’t flake or smudge everywhere throughout the day. The long brush with 200 bristles gives it the ability to coat lashes very well, making it easy to apply.
The other L’Oréal macara, L’Oreal’s Power Volume 24 Hour Mascara, is loved by celebrities (Lea Michele and Jennifer Lopez to name a few) because it is so similar to high-end brands. It holds lash’s curl for over 12 hours and is fade and smudge resistant.
Revlon’s ColorStay Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain has a bold pop of colour in many different shades. Unlike most lip stains, it isn’t drying and it has a high shine. It’s a perfect dupe for the Clinique Chubby Stick.
Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Color and High Shine Gloss are also very bold and full of shine. The Lip Color is creamy and satiny while the Gloss is hydrating and not sticky like your typical gloss. Also both have a very high pigmentation, so you’re sure to get lots of colour out of them.
- I’ve broken both my arms. I broke my right arm when I was about two years old after falling off my mom and dad’s bed and my left arm when I was seven from tripping over a slide at day camp.
- I’ve always had blonde hair but I’ve been getting highlights and lowlights for a few years.
- I loved to watch Barney when I was little and I think I probably watched it for a few more years than most kids.
- One of my pet peeves is incompetent people; people who just can’t seem to do anything for themselves, let alone others.
- I love makeup and beauty products! Whenever I go to Sephora, I almost always make a purchase!
- My dad used to (and still does from time to time) call me Chiquita Banana because I would put the Chiquita Banana stickers off bunches of bananas on my forehead.
- I have one sibling, a brother, and he is about five and a half years older than me.
- I am taking a degree in Public Relations right now. I plan to finish my degree but I may not go on to pursue a career in PR. I’m considering law school or maybe something in health care or music or both (music therapy perhaps?).
- I LOVE to travel. I’ve been to the Dominican Republic several times as well as the United States, and different countries in Europe. I’m actually getting ready to go back to Europe in 23 days! (but who’s counting ;) )
- I love music, especially singing, and do have a fair amount of musical talent but I’m no Mozart! Trust me!
- I love painting my nails, BUT I have such frail nails and the constantly break and my nail polish usually chips within at least 12 hours of application.
- Fun fact: I have Crohn’s DIsease. Not that fun really, but hey, I’m pretty lucky compared to most with the disease because I have a very mild case as of now.
- I wear glasses/contacts and have since grade six.
- I was student council president in my senior year of high school. It was an amazing experience and looking back now, I don’t know how I had the confidence to run for the position!
- I am ADDICTED to Pinterest! I have over 8000 pins… eek!
- I love fashion and shopping! But what girl doesn’t, right?
- I play the saxophone and the piano. Not well but I can do it! I’ve played the piano since I was five and the saxophone since I was ten.
- I’m a T.V. junkie. Some of my favourite shows are Glee, Amazing Race, Once Upon A Time, The Ellen Show and many… many… many more!
- I had a very mature mouth, meaning I had lost all my teeth at a very young age and had braces by grade five! I was finished wearing my retainer around the time all my friend were just getting braces!
- I’m Canadian, eh!
- I’m a fairly picky eater. I think as I’ve gotten older though I’ve been more willing to try new things, but I’m still pretty bad.
- I have cat named Beatrice, but we call her Kitty and she’s pretty much my best friend.
- I love dresses and gowns and wish I could where them everyday. I would literally wear a ball gown everyday if I could.
- I am a very avid reader of Teen Vogue and I think I have every issues from something like 2007!
- I have a label maker. There, I said it.
- I love stationary very, very much! Notebooks, cards, pens, pencil, markers… I love it all!
- I have a pink camera! my fabulous parents got it for me this Christmas and I absolutely love it! (It’s a Nikon 1 J2 fyi ;) )
- I cannot wait to move into my own place a decorate it! I really love home decor. Interior designer had crossed my mind ;)
- I listen to pretty much every genre of music. I believe it’s important to expose yourself to everything. It makes me appreciate music even more!
- AND LASTLY! I would love to have the talent and confidence to be on Broadway! Can you imagine earning a living that way! Dream come true!!
So, now you know a little more about me :) I hope I’ve been interesting enough that you’ll come back next Sunday for a new post! Have a great week <3
- January Darling
New wallflower scents from Bath and Body Works! I’ve only opened the Spring one and it smells fantastic! Even though it snowed outside today, it smelt like spring in my room :)